Oil Sector Complex Kuwait City Designed 1996 with Atelier Architects-of-record- Salem Al Marzouk & Sabah Abi-Hanna (SSH) The Oil Sector Complex is the headquarters for the Ministry of Oil and the Kuwait Petroleum Corporation, the umbrella organization for all the petroleum-related companies of the Government of Kuwait. The Complex is located on a very prominent five-hectare waterfront site, approximately two kilometres west of the downtown area of Kuwait City. Its location at the western end of Arabian Gulf Road establishes a visual and symbolic association with the other prestigious institutions and monuments located along the waterfront of Kuwait Town including: the National Assembly, Sief Palace, Amiri Diwan, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Planning, Central Bank and National Mosque. The office buildings accommodate more than 1000 daytime employees, and the complex also includes a range of special conference, reception and VIP-oriented facilities, plus a large parking structure for up to 1000 cars. Site development included land reclamation and coastal protection, a helipad, security facilities, driveways and landscaping. The projected gross area is nearly 40,000 square metres for all the offices and common facilities, plus an equal area for car parking. Several alternative design concepts for the complex were prepared, as required by the client. The recommended scheme consists of a dramatic sculptural grouping of linked triangular and semi-circular tower forms, with external elevator cores. The towers are located near the water’s edge, and are oriented to take advantage of the optimum view and solar orientation, to the north, northeast and northwest. Each of the tower clusters rise out of a water basin to a maximum height of 20 storeys. The car park is located along the rear edge of the site, to form a buffer from the neighbouring desalination/power plant and industrial area. Staff parking access occurs at the southeast and southwest corners of the site, via two different major approach routes, while visitor and VIP access occurs at the western end of Arabian Gulf Road, near the northeast corner of the site.